I suggest you ...

Allow user-editable XMP-to-daminion tag mapping

Daminion only supports a subset of commonly used XMP schemas, so any XMP tags written by other software that are not already mapped to Daminion's tags are "invisible". It would be great if we could set up mapping of any XMP field to custom Daminion tags.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    j.elworthy@adinstruments.comj.elworthy@adinstruments.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul BarrettPaul Barrett commented  · 

I was just thinking about this from the other direction, allowing some rules to allow us to map FROM Daminion information TO metadata fields, But why not make it work in BOTH directions?
        Here's what I wrote up:

"There should be a Daminion preference area called 'Field Mapping' which allows us to:

1. See the Daminion Fields and the Metadata target fields used to store them.
        (this would include standard tags such as people, events, places etc)

2. Allows the user to select a metadata target field i.e. additional to the normal one used by Daminion. For example Damionion writes People to the field PersonInImage, and I would also like to have it written to RegionPersonDisplayName without having to resort to exiftool.

3. Allows the user to do a test run to view test results for each row when Daminion targets the image library. I imagine the test would stop when a populated target field was found for each test row.

This would allow us to write some simple structured mapping rules that Daminion could use when writing tags to files. The data would be written by a program, be safe, rule driven, predictable, repeatable.

Why do I think this is a good idea?

I have been having a real problem getting Daminion and Synology DS Photo Station to play nicely together. I have had to resort to some tricks to get image metadata recognised by Photo Station, such as using exiftool to copy from one field to another, and putting thimgs like people, events and locations im=nto Keyword fields to get them recognised by Photo Station.

I have put a lot of enhancement requests to Synology about getting their app to recognise 'standard' metadata fields for people, locations, events etc. (That is if you can use the term 'standard' to refer to the mess that is metadata.)

If we depend on Synology and a gazillion other software vendors to amend their apps to accommodate the shifting sands of metadata we will be disappointed. And we will have to resort to scary command line tools such as exiftool to move things around (exiftool - very powerful but very dangerous, and time consuming)"

Feedback and Knowledge Base